First impressions count, whether you’re heading into the office for a day of meetings or meeting some mates for a catch-up, you’ll definitely want to up that jacket game. After all, your jacket is the first thing people will notice about you…followed by your shoes.
So, how is your jacket game? Are you the oversized coat wearer? The carefully coordinated jacket connoisseur? Or are you more of a ‘grab whatever is in the cupboard that looks warm’ kinda guy?
Check out the usual suspects when it comes to jacket styles for winter and learn how to up your jacket game.
The all weather jacket - for everyday wear
This is a tried and tested style that you can wear with everything, you look good in it and you know that if you’re out in the cold you’re not going to freeze. It’s more than likely a well fitting pea coat, that buttons all the way up and features a stiff collar to protect your neck from freezing, or a classic windcheater if you prefer a casual jacket style that goes with everything.
- How to level up this jacket: Add a thin scarf, worn unwrapped around your neck for an instantly on-trend accessory. Choose something plain but in a relatively striking colour, perhaps a deep burgundy or a festive green.
The tailored blazer - for work
Do you want to look smart, right? And what’s smarter than a blazer? Your Mum would be proud. Okay, while it’s not necessarily a ‘proper jacket’, it’s ideal if you are dashing from the car into the office and looks great with regular jeans and a basic t-shirt.
- How to level up this jacket: Leave the tie at home if you’re not meeting clients and pop a square handkerchief in the breast pocket instead.
The make an impression jacket - for that hot date
Want to remind your date of heartthrob Tom Cruise in Top Gun? Then an aviator style jacket is a solid choice. Opt for something well padded to keep you warm when you walk them back to their mode of transport and definitely go for the shearling collar and lining.
- How to level up this jacket: If you’re feeling bold, a pair of sunglasses should do the trick. Just try to avoid wearing them in the dark.
The rock star jacket – for a night out
Want to convey an air of masculinity and confidence, while sipping your favourite cocktail on a night out? Then a leather jacket should up your game, just be sure to wear yours undone with a well-fitted shirt and some snug jeans. Finish off the look with some heavy boots and feel smug when you notice your mates shivering while waiting for taxis later in the night.
- How to level up this jacket: Slicked back hair perfectly complements such a strong look. Just don’t go writing T-Birds on the back of that jacket.
The winter warmer – for dog walks at the weekend
Planning a hike around the local nature reserve with the pups at the weekend? Then you’re going to need something to stop you shivering. Parkas are a popular choice right now, with fur-lined hoods and padded linings you’ll not only look like ‘one with nature’ but you’ll also be able to withstand any temperature Britain throws at you.
- How to level up this jacket: Swap the scarf for a roll neck jumper to keep your neck snug.
Up your jacket game with these styles and look consistently cool from the office to the wine bar!
Photos via magic_fox